Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Antique Notions, Fab Fabrics and a Button Bonanza

Two posts in one week? I must be feeling a little strange. Actually there is a lot going on at the moment in real life that I can't share yet so I have not really had much time to blog, although I do keep up with a) shopping for all things sewing-related and b) reading all your blogs. 


This is a quick post just to share some of the the goodies that I have managed to score in the charity shops of late. Not the vintage homewares, just the sewing stuff.  I have been adding to my mid-century tableware collection but you are here for the sewing stuff, right?


Even though they have the Scottish heroine, Flora MacDonald on the front this packet of needles was made in England sometime between the late 1880 and 1909 by Abel Morrall Ltd., in the Clive Works, Redditch. There is a really interesting short post on the company here

The vintage buttons include loads of Bakelite and Art Deco beauties. I honestly have been buying them every week now and now have a button box to rival my Mum.  I feel a bit off potentially using such old buttons on new clothes though. Do you ever use stuff as old as they are in your sewing?


I have also picked up some fab fabrics, including a few 2-3 metre lengths of hand blocked silk and batiks. They have all been hand-washed and dried but not ironed so are a bit crinkly.


I also found some wonderful 70's (???) needlecord (the black and russet one). It's not a lot, less than 1 metre, but will be enough for the front of waistcoat. I have a gorgeous 70's St Michael velvet maxi skirt in almost the same design. Just wish that I could still fit into it!


Sprogzilla has got herself a very nice BF. This makes me feel really old. His folks are really lovely and gave me some gorgeous flowers from their farm. Aren't they glorious? They cheered me up no end.


Anyway, No matter where you are this week or what you are doing I am sending you a wish for peace and happiness. Too much sadness and conflict in the world at the moment.

So do you collect vintage sewing notions? A button-a-holic? Would you use your treasures or keep them for posterity? 

Until next time,
K Xx





12 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than collecting sewing stuff! Since fabric takes up so much space I'm always interested in a vintage package of needles or some pretty buttons. You have some lovely fabric there too - I love the silks and batiks. It's always such a difficult decision ... what do I make with my "special" fabric and buttons! It takes a while to decide, but eventually they get used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely the best way. I just keep all the "special" stuff. I love to find old notions and reels of thread, although I don't use the thread as it has probably weakened with time it is nice to look at. The fabrics are lovely and are mostly enough for me to squeeze a top out of. I agree about the space thing. I am running out all ready and have only been here 5 months. There os nothing better than collecting sewing stuff (except perhaps using it). :) Xx

      Delete
  2. That's a good haul! I had friends over for coffee and cake and knitting last week and one of them brought box after box of vintage buttons for us to oooooh and aaaaaaah over! Such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, that is fantastic. You have great friends. Buttons are just one of those things that truly fascinate me. I think that it is because my Mum has a huge button box going back about 60 years and she collects them off everything. I use to play with them when I was a little girl. Buttons are such a treat. Xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great haul. I love the fabrics you bought. I love looking up the old sewing notion companies too. Lovely load of buttons, I say keep them and go through them from time to time XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love buttons. They are so tactile and colourful and I often wonder just what the agreements that they were on looked like, especially the old ones. I will use up the 70's and 80's ones but I would feel terrible using the older ones and damaging them in the wash. Some of them must be around the same age as my Mum if not older! I have a ton of old sewing notions. They are like a little bit of women's social history. Xx

      Delete
  4. I do have a collection of vintage buttons. I was convinced I would use them, but never did - though now autumn is pretty much here my need to knit has returned with a vengeance. I've spent ALL YEAR working on a cardi a friend asked me to knit - I did warn her I was slow - and I am sick to death of it, so I might cast something else on just because I can. Something that still won't use any of those buttons...

    Those fabrics are smashers, especially the paisley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something great about collecting buttons and you can find some smashers quite cheaply. Knitting is great fun and vintage buttons would look fab on a cardi where you would really see them. Sorry to hear that you are fed up with what you have on your needles. I have a lot of half-knitted things too - sometimes the wool looks great but doesn't want to play nice. Have you got anything in mind? I think that we will all need some woolies soon. Xx

      Delete
  5. Good to see you pop up again so soon! Those fabrics make me go weak at the knees, what amazing finds.
    I love old buttons and notions. Its pretty rare that I pick up a vintage garment with a missing button and not find a near identical one in my stash. I've even been known to buy stuff in chazzas just 'cos I like the buttons!
    Sprogzilla's found a good 'un there if his parents are anything to go by, those flowers are beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, she really has. They are so kind. We always come back laden with eggs and other goodies every time we visit the farm. They are so very kind. I love old buttons and notions too and have also bought a garment to harvest the buttons (80's huge diamanté ones. They would have been a fortune in John Lewis but the whole thing cost me 50p). I like them a whole lot better than all the fancy china and antiques as they speak to me a lot more about real people, and the lives of women especially. I love how things were so beautifully designed for such utilitarian objects. Better than todays boring packaging. Xx

      Delete
  6. I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
    Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
    Thanks for sharing the good information!
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete